Trade unions exist to improve the working lives of their members. Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender workers face harassment and discrimination. It’s hard to deal with on your own. Joining UNISON gives you a voice in the UK’s largest public service union, committed to working for LGBT rights.
LGBT members organise locally and nationally to support each other, to identify and challenge discrimination, to increase awareness of LGBT rights and to campaign for change.
Information on the LGBT member groups priorities and how we’re organised.
Read more – Please ask for this to be under the link – https://www.unison.org.uk/about/what-we-do/fairness-equality/lgbt/about/
Recruiting and organising
- Increasing the number of existing members participating in our work;
· Developing a range of recruitment materials for the group;
· Hosting a series of recruitment stalls at Pride and other community events; and
· Develop our use of Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and produce regular member newsletters.
Key issues – Please ask for this to be under the link – https://www.unison.org.uk/about/what-we-do/fairness-equality/lgbt/key-issues/
This section is about the key issues affecting LGBT members. Each key issue explains the facts behind the issue, what UNISON is doing and how you can get involved. You will also find news articles, useful resources and events.
Campaigning and promoting UNISON
- Attendance at a wide range of Pride events to raise awareness of government cuts;
- Actively supporting campaigns against the Far Right; and
- Participate and celebrate LGBT History Month and IDAHO
To celebrate LGBT History Month UNISON has looked back on its own LGBT history.
Read more – Please ask for this to be under the link – https://www.unison.org.uk/about/what-we-do/fairness-equality/lgbt/lgbt-history/
Find out more for the national UNISON website. – Please ask for this to be under the link – https://www.unison.org.uk/about/what-we-do/fairness-equality/lgbt/
If you would like to know more or get iviolved, please e-mail UNISON.LGBT@LTHTR.NHS.UK